Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My one year old has suddenly stopped eating - please help, any advice and ideas for this problem?

My one year old recently suffered with a fever, it only lasted 3 days but since then she wont eat any more solids. During the fever, she was seen by a doctor who explaned that she would be put off food, but it has been over a week now and she wont eat anything. Ive tried everything! Even little bits of chocolate to try and get her appetite back but everytime I put any knd of food towards her, she throws her head back and cries. Its become really frustrating


And betfore anyone asks, I did take her to my GP who said her weight was ok so there he was nothng he could do. But as you can imagine this isnt reassuring at all. Before the fever she wasnt the best eater but I used to manage to give her some breakfast, lunch and dinner.





Shes been having 10-12 ounces of milk and a few cheerios each day, thats all! And this has been for about 3 days now. Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions


and how long is it before it becomes dangerous for a one year old not to eat?





ThanksMy one year old has suddenly stopped eating - please help, any advice and ideas for this problem?
oh dear , baby's can and will have you worried to bits as thy grow up and as its your first, even more thy know how to rule you . plenty of fluid`s, water if you can ,and keep her cool.she must be teething like mad the back one`s are the worse?the gp `s not with her 24, 7 and the nights so its more upsetting for you too to see her like that , if your not happy just pop along to the hospital and get her checked over just tell them what`s going on and how you feel about it .have you any think for her gum`s ?try soup too. good luck xx My one year old has suddenly stopped eating - please help, any advice and ideas for this problem?
Check the inside of her mouth. She may be teething and have sore gums which, combined with a stuffed up nose is just too much for her to suffer. She could also have a sore throat.





From my own experience (I have twins), I found that they rarely, if ever ate the same amounts of food. It worried me to the extent that I took them to the doc who told me in no uncertain terms, to stop wasting his time! If it's hungry, it'll eat! He did tell me to stop trying to feed outside meal time hours (snacks), but stick to trying to give him food ONLY at meal times (I'm actually laughing here,but I wasn't at the time!).





As it turned out, he was right. I have twins, one of whom eats anything and everything, and one who's the world's worst eater. He'll eat anything, at meal times, but only when he feels like it. If he didn't eat at one meal, he'd have to wait until the next meal (when he'd probably eat the whole lot). And later when they were 'little boys',they weren't allowed dessert unless they'd eaten all, or most of their main course. It became a matter of training him to eat (if that makes sense).





I've learned that you can't force a child to eat, and as long as they remain healthy it's crazy to worry about it. We weren't all born exactly the same and I've found that starts right from 'solid food' eating!





It's difficult. I had the two children, born within 2 minutes of each other and I found it extraordinarily difficult to get round the fact that one of them could get by on the amount of food he DIDN'T eat. Their metabolisms were so completely different.





You don't have that comparison, and I can understand why you're so worried. 3 days isn't a huge amount of time. She'll eat when she's hungry, and as long as she's drinking, from my own experiences, there's nothing to worry about.





If it continues for OVER a week, with no improvement at all, go back to the doctor - just to make sure. (I didn't have to. My little chap has survived 27 years - and still only eats when he feels like it! It did him no harm at all).





xxx
Hi.


yes you must go and see a doctor again this is not right!


if ur baby is not eatin try soup or other thinks like that =] hope i helped
Dont worry...she cant starve herself to death. She will eat if she is hungry. I had this problem with my daughter right about the time she turned 1, with milk. It made her sick the last time I gave it to her and she remembered that and didnt want anymore. If you are concerned about her getting the nutrience she needs, try getting the 2nd stage of infant formula. I am sure she will be fine though. Keep trying to give it to her, but dont force her. You dont want her to associate eating with a negative experience. She will come around and eat when she is hungry. :)





Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment